Untitled Document
  • 19th February 2011 – Rear axle coming together 2

    We took receipt of the shortened lower arms and drive shafts. First thing was to spend some time wire brushing them down, using an angle grinder with a wire brush on the end makes short work of this. Once clean we then primed them and spraying them black. We set Marks shed up as a make shift paint shop, with bits of rear axle dangling from wire in mid air while we sprayed them.

    start assembling the axle back

    Once the paint was dry we could eventually start assembling the axle back. Firstly we bolted on the chassis backets to the base and top of the differential. These parts came as part of the chassis from Gerry and Hawks

    Then attaching the brake disks the newly painted arms and drive shafts, with new UJs and the hubs we built up a few weeks back. Also putting in the new upgraded rear springs and suspension. We were a little unsure how many spacers to use when attaching the suspension parts as we had quite a few in the box. After a call to Gerry, he confirmed all you need is a large and small one either side at the bottom to balance the different size backets with no spacers required at the top.

    All we need now are the brake calipers that are being currently being Zinc coated and are due back next week. Then we can bolt the axle to the chassis, put the wheels on and we have a rolling chassis.


  • 5th February 2011 – Rear Axle coming together

    Getting all the parts together for the rear axle has proved to be quite a slow process, especially getting the lower arms and drive shafts returned that we sent off to be shortened. This has delayed us getting to a rolling chassis stage –  Even so we cracked on with the parts of the rear axle that we had, which are the rear hub, fitting new barings, seals and drive shaft UJ. Firstly we wire brushed and cleaned up the hub carriers and sprayed them silver.

    Trouble with the shims

    It wasn’t as simple putting the hub together as we first imagined as the barings and hubs require a spacer shim inside the hub. There are about 16 different sizes of shims from 2.22mm to 3.47mm and as we had brand new rear hubs and barings, it was almost impossible to work out at first hand which size we needed. So quite a bit of trial and error with different sized shims that Mark managed to get from his mate at work, but  when we tried them were all too tight.
    Eventually after a few calls and a bit of advise, we ordered a set of the largest shims from Ed at www.jaguaraxles.com. We then assembled the hub ‘dry’ and then measuring the end-float using a dial gauge and comparing the actual end float with the desired. We could then order the correct size which arrived a couple of days later from Ed. We then disassembled the ‘dry’ hub before fitting the appropriate thickness of shim, and finally reassembling again while greasing up all the bearings.
    This was quite a lot of bother and I can tell you, but got there in the end.