Untitled Document
  • 26th March 2011- Installing Engine and transmission 3

    Gearbox next. – The bellhousing had to be modified slightly by drilling two holes in order to fit the clutch fork mounting pivot. We sent this to Gerry a few months ago as he has a special jig for this.
    The gearbox is then bolted to the Bellhousing and the clutch fork (with pivot mechanism) and throw out bearing are installed. The gearbox and bellhousing are then put together with the engine and clutch. This went together quite easily.
    The bracket for the hydraulic clutch mechanism has to be put in place – more on this later.
    Finally we fitted the starter motor in place.

    bell-housingengine1

    IMG_3370


  • 26th March 2011- Installing Engine and transmission 2

    Next was splash plate and then the Flywheel. Firstly we spray painted the splash plate silver before putting it in position and installing the fly wheel. Before the fly wheel is bolted on, it’s best to press in the dowels for location of the cluch cover. They were quite tight so we used a rubber hammer to get them in. All torqued up to 85 ft/Ib using Locktite on all the threads. You also need to lock the flywheel to enable you to get to the torque when tightening up else the flywheel turns. We simply wedged a lever bar between the gear box bolt and ring gear which worked fine.

    Next was the Clutch plate the clutch cover. The clutch plate can be aligned using a alignment tool but Mark managed to align it by eye, fairly easily with a bit of fiddling. Then torque up the clutch cover bolts to 36ft/Ib (opposite to opposite), job done.

    IMG_3364


  • 26th March 2011 – Installing Engine and Transmission 1

    Once the wheels are on, we were in a position to drop the engine in. We had previously built the engine up on an engine stand, so it was just a case of transfering engine from the stand to chassis. Obviously first thing was 2 bolts to attach the engine mounts. These are slightly offset on either side. Then we cranked it up on a metal bar running the width of the garage. All in very quickly.

     
    IMG_3357IMG_3359


  • 26th March 2011 – Rolling Chassis – Fitting the wheels

    We bought the tyres and got them fitted to the wheels a few weeks ago. Pirelli P4000. Finally getting them on the chassis, makes us feel like we are finally getting somewhere with the build.

    wheelsTires

    IMG_3356


  • 26th March 2011 – Back Axle installed – Basic Rolling Chassis

    We finally got the 2 arms of the back axle together – newly coated and painted, new barings and bolts etc. We are still waiting for the brake calipers to return from the zinc platers and some new bottom bolts but we thought this shouldn’t hold us back getting to a rolling chassis as, for now, we could use the bottom bolts from the old axle and replace with brand new once they arrive. We had already installed the specially made mounting to the diff a few weeks ago, so all we had to do is  simply jack the axle up into position and , using the ready made holes in the chassis,  bolt it into position. Simple.