Untitled Document
  • 29th October 2011 – Fitting Heat shields

    We started fitting the heat shields today. We started with the bulk head panel, carefully positioning before marking up the holes, drilling and finally riveting into place. We used 4.8mm diameter rivets. The first 4 panels have gone in fairly easily with only a few minor tweaks. We had to file a few millimetres off a couple of edges to get them to fit absolutely perfectly. We are really pleased with the way they look and well worth getting the CAD design and laser cut out.

    We just need to fit the front inner wing panels now, then polish out any small scratches.



  • 29th October 2011 – Making of coil bracket and fitting

    Over the last week Mark has been busy making a specially made bracket to mount the coil to the engine block. He started by making templates from cardboard before marking up the shapes on aluminium. Then using a hacksaw cut them out and filing down to get the exact shape, always checking the bracket fitted against the engine. He then marked the bolt holes and drilled them out. To do the wield we used our uncle Dave again who helped us TIG wield the pieces together. Final job was to tap a thread in the holes for the bolts, file down the wield smooth and polished it up nice and shiny. The coil is now neatly positioned to the side of the block next to the distributor.


  • 15th October 2011 – CAD heatshields production – Part 3

    After the final computer drawings were complete, Dale sent them through to Mark to do final full size print outs to double check they all fitted perfectly. We had to make a small adjustment to the bulk head panel, but once this was done we were all good to get them sent to be manufactured and laser cut in 1.5 mm aluminium.


    All we need to do now is get them fitted to the body and we’ll be ready to finally get the body reunited with the rolling chassis. We’ll hopefully be doing this very soon.

    The templates we have had produced fit our Hawk LeMan, but will be good to fit to any Hawk 289 body. So if you are building a Hawk Car and you’d like to benefit from our work, you can order a set of metal heatshields for yourself based on our templates by contacting Phil or Dale at Slipstream Design.¬†They have done a fantastic job.

    Slipstream Design:

    +44 (0)113 815 0046

    info@slipstream-design.co.uk

    http://www.slipstream-design.co.uk



  • 15th October 2011 – CAD HeatShield modifications – Part 2

    As mentioned in the previous post, having seen Andy Gordons FIA Cobra at Silverstone, one thing we really liked with his car was the way he had fitted the metal cladding in the engine bay to wrap around the corner of the wheel arches. This was really tidy and helped the engine bay to really sparkle. So again using his example as inspiration we got to work making amended versions to the templates which we then sent through to Dale at Slipstream Design to modify the computer design specs.

    These are the amended drawings


  • 15th October 2011 – CAD HeatShield production – Slipstream Design – Part1

    The metal cladding heatshields for the engine bay is something we’ve been working on for some time. Fortunately we have brother in law Phil Wilson who has an engineering, design and CAD (computer aided design) company in Leeds called Slipstream Design. They specialise in CAD engineering projects and prototyping of all shapes and sizes and following a conversation with Phil one weekend, we thought it would be amazing to design up exact CAD specs of the heatshields and get them manufactured via laser cutting engineering making them a perfect fit for the Hawks Cobra 289 body.

    Mark being a super perfectionist and having an eye for the details, this idea really appealed as it felt a bit like we have brought a small amount of amazing F1 style precision technology and engineering to our Cobra 289.

    It all started in a more low tech way with me and Mark both working up rough paper templates directly from the Cobra engine bay. We then sent these off to Dale at Slipstream Design to translate onto the computer and produce and exact specs requirements. He then sent us back the drawings which Mark could print full size at work to recheck against the Cobra body. We had to go through this process a few times with minor tweaks and changes.

    We originally planned the inner wing sections to only fit the inner plain of the engine bay, as you can see from the visuals below. However, after inspecting Andy Gordons FIA Cobra at the Silverstone show back in August, we decided to make alterations to these panels to fit them nicely round the corner of the wheel arches. More on this in the next post.