Untitled Document
  • 15th September 2012 – Front lights

    The final job of the day we decided was to install the front lights.

    For the sake of the IVA test we had ordered some budget “e marked” 7” lenses with H4 lamps and side lights fitted into some 7” metal nests with the wiring connections. The metal nests are suitable for all the 7” lenses and once the IVA test is out of the way plan to replace the headlamps with more authentic Lucus tripod headlamps.

    The headlights went in fairly quickly with no fuss. First we aligned the nests vertically and drill clearance holes for the lens orientation adjusters then used self tapping screws to secure the nests in place before putting the lamp in and securing with fixing screws before clipping the Cobra chrome rim that fit over the top. Very neat.

    Next up was to fit the front indicators. We eventually want to install original chrome rimmed Lucas indicators but the IVA test regulations have a problem with them as they have little protruding fins on the lens. So we have opted for Land Rover indicators for the time being as they are “e-marked” and IVA friendly. We lined them up with the moulding lines on the body, measuring down 9cm from the base of the headlights. Once the position was marked we firstly cut a 32mm hole with the hole saw and enlarged it slightly with the Dremel to about 34mm to get the lamp back to fit through. We again used self tapping screws to fix the indicator lamps in place.


  • 15th September 2012 – Reconditioning and fitting the steering column

    We are using the standard MGB steering column and steering rack. The rack we fitted on the rolling chassis way back so now it was time to get the steering column in.

    First thing we had to do was recondition the column. This was a case of striping it down and giving it a good clean with a wire brush to get any rust off then respraying the outer tube black. We then reassembled and replaced all the inner bushes. The original horn mechanism from the MGB isn’t required and should be removed as the horn on the Hawk lives on the indicator stork.

    Once reassembled we were ready get it all in and connected to the rack. The upper section of the column sits inside the driver footwell. The upper part bolts to the chassis behind the dash with the other end poking out above the pedal box into the engine bay. This then connects via 2 UJs and the second section onto the rack. At this stage we decided to provisionally fit the dash to get the correct position and sufficient length for the cobra boss and indicator mechanism to fit. Hawk supply the boss with a second aluminium piece that fits over the top end of the outer tube and this in turn connects it nicely to the indicator and boss. Once this was ok with tightened it all up.

    Connecting up the UJs was a bit of a fiddle to get the optimum angle for the column within the engine bay. We found we had to shorten the second section just a small amount to get it to fit the way we wanted it to.

    At this stage we have fitted our lovely cobra steering wheel which we got from Gerry a while ago. Unfortunately we will have to change this to an IVA compliant steering wheel before the test.


  • 15th September 2012 – Heater demister vents

    We’ve been having some supply problems with some parts over the last few weeks which has held us up a little. Even so we decided to get another day in on the build as we had several smaller jobs that needed to be done.
    <br/

    The first job of the day was to fit the heater demister vents that will feed warm air onto the windscreen. We had decided to install the cobra aluminium vents which are slightly longer than MGA ones. We plan to eventually polish these up at a later stage and get them looking really nice.
    <br/

    The body is marked with previsional positions for the vent holes but as we already had the windscreen fitted we found these marking to be a little close to the screen (perhaps due to the increased rake of the LeMan screen). So we spent a little time carefully measuring and working out the best position for them. In the end we basically moved them back about 2cm from the previsional markings.
    <br/

    Once the position was sorted we removed the screen so we could do the drilling, dremelling and filing of the holes. Before fixing the vents into place we decided we could also fix the heater matrix vents to the underside of scuttle which will eventually be behind the dash and connect to the heater matrix. Due to the body having a slight curve we lined the edges with a foam padding in order to give them a decent seal against the underside of the body when fitted. It was then just a case of using the screws and nuts provided to fit vents above and below the scuttle.