Untitled Document
  • 15th September 2012 – Front lights

    The final job of the day we decided was to install the front lights.

    For the sake of the IVA test we had ordered some budget “e marked” 7” lenses with H4 lamps and side lights fitted into some 7” metal nests with the wiring connections. The metal nests are suitable for all the 7” lenses and once the IVA test is out of the way plan to replace the headlamps with more authentic Lucus tripod headlamps.

    The headlights went in fairly quickly with no fuss. First we aligned the nests vertically and drill clearance holes for the lens orientation adjusters then used self tapping screws to secure the nests in place before putting the lamp in and securing with fixing screws before clipping the Cobra chrome rim that fit over the top. Very neat.

    Next up was to fit the front indicators. We eventually want to install original chrome rimmed Lucas indicators but the IVA test regulations have a problem with them as they have little protruding fins on the lens. So we have opted for Land Rover indicators for the time being as they are “e-marked” and IVA friendly. We lined them up with the moulding lines on the body, measuring down 9cm from the base of the headlights. Once the position was marked we firstly cut a 32mm hole with the hole saw and enlarged it slightly with the Dremel to about 34mm to get the lamp back to fit through. We again used self tapping screws to fix the indicator lamps in place.


    2 responses to “15th September 2012 – Front lights”


     Leave a reply