Untitled Document
  • 5th January 2013 – Filler cap more modifications

    We had seen that there was no seal between the cap and the fuel filler flanges, so we thought there might be a potential for fuel to leak when cornering and also via vapour leakage. So Mark sourced some CAR FUEL OIL Nitrile Rubber Gasket Material 3mm from eBay that would do nicely to make some seals. We made one for the fuel cap itself to seal to the flange and one to seal the fuel filler extension pipe flange for when this would be attached to the lower section when the roof is fitted.

    Mark also bought some O Rings for the second flange, which were 84mm ID with a 3.5mm cross section.


  • 5th January 2013 – Fuel filler modifications

    We decided to modify the lower sections of the fuel filler cap assembly. Mark was worried that if the O ring seal between the 2 pieces ever failed, with the roof fitted, there was a potential for fuel to leak through into the boot when filling up. So Mark decided it might be best to welding these piece together as one single unit which would stop this possibility.


  • 1st January 2013 – Interior panels filled with expanding foam

    We haven’t had much of a chance to get on with stuff for the last 2 months due to christmas and other things, we hope to get the build back on track again very soon.
    We had made inner panels back in November to fit around the doors so on New Year day, Mark did find some time to start with the expanding foam he conveniently bought me for christmas.
    We decided that we would like to run the wiring loom between the front and the back behind these panels to keep everything neat. So Mark decided to get some 20mm wiring conduit tube from screw fix that we could fix in place that will eventually have the wiring loom running through it. Due to the position of the vertical strengthening bar at the rear of the door, he also had to cut a hole in the panel that lined up with the end of the conduit, which is where the wiring will exit. He also made made another end and top piece next to the door hinge to prevent the foam coming out next to the hinge before sealing all the gaps with duck tape and putting the screws in the door latch bracket to stop the expanding foam coming out of the threads. The final thing was to drill small holes along the panel to squirt the foam through.

    When squirting the foam our advise is the proceed cautiously and do it a bit at a time. Mark did put a bit too much foam in the front as you can see on the pictures, but if that happens you can slow it down by spraying water on it.
    Once the foam was all set Mark could then remove all the tape and tidy up any extra rough edges using a scalpel blade.