Untitled Document
  • 26th October 2013 – Rear bulk head panel

    rearBulkHeadPanel3

    The next job was to make the cover panel the SVA Seatbelt frame. We decided to use thin plywood sheet for the actual cover panel which we eventually plan to cover in carpet. This is important and needs to be done for the IVA test as the frame has too many sharp edges and trap points. So we started by making some cardboard templates to cover the frame. Once we had  the template we marked it up on the plywood and cut it out. Additional holes are needed for the frame bolts and seat belt mountings.

    Then just to finish it off we decided to spray it up black. This isn’t necessarily required as we eventually plan to cover this panel in carpet.

     

    rearBulkHeadPanel1rearBulkHeadPanel2


  • 26th October 2013 – Re-making the inner door panels

    doorPanels_7

    We had made and fitted the inner door panels in November 2012 (you can read post here). we had originally made these panels from some spare sheet aluminium that was left over from the heat shields in the engine bay and had fixed them in place with 6 screws on each door. Having had a think about it, we started having concerns that the raised screw heads and metal panel may cause potential rubbing points which then may cause markings on the door leather trim once it was fitted. So we decided to take off the original panels and re-make them in hardboard, this time making sure that when they were fitted they would fit flat with the profile of door. This, we hoped would remove any problems for  potential rubbing points.
    doorPanels_6doorPanels_1
    So as we did previously, we  made a simple cardboard template based on the shape of  the recess in the centre of the door and from that  made 2 pieces from hardboard that exactly fitted.
    doorPanels_2doorPanels_3doorPanels_4doorPanels_5
    Back in November 2012 we had also  begun to fill the doors with expanding foam. The first time round, we had run out of foam so we knew we would have to go back later with more  foam to get the doors filled to finish this job nicely.  This time we planned to secure the new panels in place simply using the foam so there would be no need for any  screws.
    So once the panels were ready we sprayed the foam deep into all the areas of the door where required and as it expanded pressed  the panels down in position. We used a few off cutted of wood and screws to temporarily secure the panels in place as the foam set. Expanding foam is messy stuff and we did have some over spill around  the edges, but this  cleaned up nicely once the foam was set.

     


  • 21st Sept 2013 – Inner footwell panels

    footwellPanel1footwellPanel3footwellPanel2footwellPanel5
    We decided it would be a good idea to make a couple of extra panels around the base of the dash and door support frame to finish things off nicely in preparation for the carpeting. These panels would give a backing for the carpet inside the footwells and we felt would give a better finish when the carpet is fitted. Before the carpet goes in, we also thought that we might try packing foam in between the panels and the body to further the sound deadening effect and adding to a more solid feel around the doors.
    We firstly made some templates from card, before cutting them out to size in 4mm aluminium sheet. We decided to countersink the bolts to achieve a flush fit in order to avoid seeing any fixing through the carpet and to avoid any potential uneven carpet wear in the future. We decided to use riv-nuts as a easy way to secure in place, so after a few small final adjustments we drilling the frame, inserted the riv-nut and finally bolted in place.
    footwellPanel4