Untitled Document
  • 26th October 2013 – Re-making the inner door panels

    doorPanels_7

    We had made and fitted the inner door panels in November 2012 (you can read post here). we had originally made these panels from some spare sheet aluminium that was left over from the heat shields in the engine bay and had fixed them in place with 6 screws on each door. Having had a think about it, we started having concerns that the raised screw heads and metal panel may cause potential rubbing points which then may cause markings on the door leather trim once it was fitted. So we decided to take off the original panels and re-make them in hardboard, this time making sure that when they were fitted they would fit flat with the profile of door. This, we hoped would remove any problems for  potential rubbing points.
    doorPanels_6doorPanels_1
    So as we did previously, we  made a simple cardboard template based on the shape of  the recess in the centre of the door and from that  made 2 pieces from hardboard that exactly fitted.
    doorPanels_2doorPanels_3doorPanels_4doorPanels_5
    Back in November 2012 we had also  begun to fill the doors with expanding foam. The first time round, we had run out of foam so we knew we would have to go back later with more  foam to get the doors filled to finish this job nicely.  This time we planned to secure the new panels in place simply using the foam so there would be no need for any  screws.
    So once the panels were ready we sprayed the foam deep into all the areas of the door where required and as it expanded pressed  the panels down in position. We used a few off cutted of wood and screws to temporarily secure the panels in place as the foam set. Expanding foam is messy stuff and we did have some over spill around  the edges, but this  cleaned up nicely once the foam was set.

     


     Leave a reply