Untitled Document
  • 26th October 2013 – Connecting Master cylinders & reservoirs

     

    Connecting up the master cylnder with the clutch and front and rear brakes was something we had wanted to get done for a while and not got around to.

    We ran in the front and rear brake pipe in June 2011 and had left the pipe loose ready for connection. Firstly Mark cut down the front to rear brake pipe to size and then  bent the pipe around to fit the unions, carefully doing so without trying to cause a kink in the pipes. He then double flared the ends of the pipes that would connect into the unions. The rear brakes we connected to the central master cylinder.

     

    Mark then made up a new piece of pipe to connect the right hand master cylinder to where the brake switch union sits on the front right hand part of the chassis. Again, taking his time carefully bending the pipe to shape without causing the pipe to kink. This would then connect up the 2 front brakes to the master cylinder. Once all the pipes were bent in place Mark then neatly secured these pipes to the chassis with P-clips.

     

    mastercylinder3mastercylinder2

    Last job was to connect the clutch slave cylinder to the left hand master cylinder. The clutch pipe runs around the front of the chassis to connect to the clutch slave cylinder on the near side of the gear box bell housing. We again had mounted this back in June 2011 together with the brake pipes. YOu can read about this here

     

    The bracket for the reservoirs we had mounted previously. This sits between the end of the pedal box and the inner wing. The 3 reservoirs sit on top. The final job was to connect these up with flexi-pipes to each of the master cylinders. Initial we connected these with the standard rubber pipes that were sent with the kit from Gerry, but due to these being a little too short we decided to invest in some longer braided pipes from Graham Goodes motor supplier which took a week or so to arrive, but we think look loads better.

     

    mastercylinder1


  • 25th June 2011 – Upgrading brake pipe P clips

    This one was just a small job, but following on from installing the brake lines and our post on 4th June, we decided to upgrade the plastic P clips we used to hold the brake pipe in place with better quality stainless steel, rubber insulated P clips. We also used new rubber sealer washers underneath the clips to properly seal the strew holes and prevent any water getting inside the chassis in the future and causing damage. Less importantly, as you won’t see them when the body is back on the car, but aesthetically the clips also now match the style of the P clips used on the near side for the fuel pipe.


  • 4th June 2011 – Brakes pipe installation

    We decided to get on with installing the brake pipes. We ordered the brake pipe kit from Gerry with the Hawk kit containing all of the pipe and fittings. The build manual shows the rough route for the pipes.

    Running the pipe in

    First thing was to run the pipe down the offside of the chassis. We fitted rubber grommets into the ready made holes in the outrigger and piercing holes through them as we ran the pipe through. We then carefully measured the postions for the P-clips to hold the pipe, 7.5 inches apart. We then drilled the holes and used galvanised self tapping screws to secure them. P-clips are provided in the kit to suit the 3/16” pipe. We actually found there wasn’t quite enough in the pack, so we had run around town looking for a place that sold them in this size. In the end Halfords had some.

    Connecting the rear calipers

    Then we had to connect the pipe to the rear calipers, running the pipe carefully into place. This took a little time and was a bit of a fiddle, connecting and then disconnecting again to get the bends in the pipe just right. We bent the pipe carefully using our hands, ensuring that the pipes didn’t get kinked, but once we had the rough shape we used a vice to get the bends really neat and tidy. We also used a flaring tool to flare the end of the pipe that fit inside the brake pipe unions.

    Connecting up the front calipers

    Next was to run the front brake lines in. We started by fitting the front 4 way adaptor. This is held on by the small threaded bar that comes welded to the chassis. There is one on both sides of the chassis depending on it being a RHD or LHD car. The offside one is used for RHD cars. We secured it in place with a M6 nut. We then put the flexi hoses in, connecting the front calipers to the 4 way adaptor via a short piece of brake pipe (flaring both ends). The offside was quite easy to connect BUT running the brake pipe around to the nearside proved to be a bit more difficult as the engine was in the way. So we jacked the chassis up onto axel stands to gain access to the front cross member from underneath. In hindsight, this would have been easier to do before the engine was installed, but nevertheless we got there eventually. We actually used the same holes to mount the clutch pipe brackets at the same time making the final job very neat and tidy.


    We won’t be able to connect the whole system up yet until the body is back on and the master cylinders pedal box are installed but we have done most of the work now.
    ——-