Untitled Document
  • 21st November 2016 – Getting ready to turn the key.


    We had previously connected up the dash and wiring looms as well as mechanical gauge connections, water temperature, oil pressure, oil temperature. These all run directly from the gauges through the bulkhead onto the engine.

    We also had to consider where to run the battery feed cables. As battery shelf is located on the near side of in the engine bay between the foot well and front wheel arch, we drilled a hole through the bulkhead behind the wiper motor unit and fed the battery cables through to connect onto the starter.

    We added some fuel to the tank and we were now, in theory at least, ready to start up. Mark tried and turned the key but realised that something wasn’t quiet right as the engine started but cut out straight away. Knowing that we had fuel pressure, Mark rechecked the wiring to the coil and ballast resistor finding the positive feed to the coil was being pulled down to ground by the wire from the starter. This then killed the coil and the spark. Upon rechecking the wiring on the starter Mark realised the wire for the coil was connected to the incorrect terminal on the starter for the ballest resistor bypass.

    Once this was rectified, the engine started perfectly. We haven’t got any exhaust fitted at the moment so I think we got the attention of most of the neighbourhood. What a noise!


  • 14th August 2011 – The Cobra is alive! – Starting the engine – Part 3

    Starting 1st time


    We got a temporary 5 litre tank of petrol from the garage round the corner and put the end of the fuel line in ready.

    Mark then connected the fuel pump, coil and starter to the battery. The fuel pump then started pumping the fuel through the lines. Mark then made the connection from battery to starter motor and after a couple of coughs, WOW, Cobra 5litre V8 comes to life, what a noise! As expected it was massively loud, especially as we only have the exhaust downpipes connected right now with no exhaust. We gave it a couple of starts and it seemed to start really well. Mark also blimped the throttle a little to give the engine a bit of rev and it really showed the power we’ll have under the hood.

    On the second start, the Cobra decided to bite back a little, the carb backfired slightly at one point when revving it up (as you can see on the video clips below). Mark singed the hairs on his arm, but he’ll live! We guess the backfire is because the timing was to far advanced, but the timing is something we just need to sort out a little so that it’s spot on with the timing light. Hope you enjoy the video clips!!

    Starting 2nd time – Cobra singes Marks arm


  • 14th August 2011 – Starting the engine – Part 2 (fitting the distributor)

    We were then onto fitting the distributor. We fitted the rotor arm to be TDC (top dead centre) for number one cylinder. See diagram for the configuration of distributor cables to cylinders.



    Next was to route the leads, chop them to length, fit them neatly on the spark plugs and then fit onto the distributor cap. We also labeled each lead in turn with the corresponding cylinder numbers. Eventually we will heat shrink the number labels once we have fully timed up the distributor with timing light. We have decided to fit a ballast coil and this requires a ballast resister to be used. This is wired in to the positive side of the coil and reduces the voltage going to the coil which keeps a more stable voltage when the engine is running.



  • 14th August 2011 – Starting the Engine – Part 1

    We decided we’d really like to get the Cobra started before we get the body back on.

    First job was fitting the oil Pressure gauge to the end of the pipe which runs to the adaptor that we fitted to the oil pressure switch out let in the engine block a few weeks ago (Read about that here). Then we connected up the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator and the fuel line to the carburettor. Next we fitted the oil filter and fill the engine and gearbox with oil.

    Before we fitted the distributor we connected a drill to the oil pump drive through the distributor hole and with the drill running in reverse we drove the oil pump and primed the engine. Also now that we had the oil pressure gauge connected we could make sure the pump could produce oil pressure before starting the engine.

    Next thing was to fit the distributor, coil and the ballast resistor to do this we made a temporary wiring harness. We went for a Hall Effect distributor which does away with the points and condencer. See next post (Starting the Engine – Part 2) for fitting the distributor.


    —–