Untitled Document
  • 3rd November 2012 – Fitting the rear lights

    Its been 6 weeks or so since out last build instalment, in that time we have been patiently waiting for parts to arrive, but we managed to arrange another day to get on with it again.

    First job of the day we thought should be to fit the rear lights, as the last job we had done was to fit the front ones. The standard Cobra rear lights we ordered are Lucus 542, but unfortunately these aren’t “e marked” and therefore not compliant for the SVA test. so the plan for now is to fit Land Rover lamps which are compliant.

    We once again used Stewart Clarkes build as a reference for this job. As Stewart had done, we first of all made up some templates and drilling guides to make sure the Land Rover lamps and holes where in a suitable location and would be inside the shape for the Lucus lamps we eventually plan to fit. Once we got the templates all lined up and marked we then used a 30mm hole cutter to drill the holes and a demmal to slightly increase the holes where required to allow the rear of the lamps to pass through. We found that cutting the outer rubber casing at the back of the lights allowed us to get them through without making the hole too big. We then fitted the lamps using 3 screws for each.

    These’s no way they are as nice looking as the Lucus versions but we have to make sure we are compliant.

    We still need to fit the rear fog light and reversing lights which is necessary for the SVA test, plus number plate light and reflectors. more on this in later posts.


  • 15th September 2012 – Front lights

    The final job of the day we decided was to install the front lights.

    For the sake of the IVA test we had ordered some budget “e marked” 7” lenses with H4 lamps and side lights fitted into some 7” metal nests with the wiring connections. The metal nests are suitable for all the 7” lenses and once the IVA test is out of the way plan to replace the headlamps with more authentic Lucus tripod headlamps.

    The headlights went in fairly quickly with no fuss. First we aligned the nests vertically and drill clearance holes for the lens orientation adjusters then used self tapping screws to secure the nests in place before putting the lamp in and securing with fixing screws before clipping the Cobra chrome rim that fit over the top. Very neat.

    Next up was to fit the front indicators. We eventually want to install original chrome rimmed Lucas indicators but the IVA test regulations have a problem with them as they have little protruding fins on the lens. So we have opted for Land Rover indicators for the time being as they are “e-marked” and IVA friendly. We lined them up with the moulding lines on the body, measuring down 9cm from the base of the headlights. Once the position was marked we firstly cut a 32mm hole with the hole saw and enlarged it slightly with the Dremel to about 34mm to get the lamp back to fit through. We again used self tapping screws to fix the indicator lamps in place.